Claims: Gluten free, non GMO and vegetarian
Prep time: 1.5 hour
Cooking time: 55 minutes
- 1 teaspoon Lotus Xanthan Gum
- 1 teaspoon Lotus Bi-Carb Soda
- 2 teaspoons Lotus Baking Powder
- 50g Lotus Organic Cornflour
- 1 cup Global Organics Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1½ cup Orgran All Purpose Plain Flour
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 7 large organic eggs, separated at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons organic vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 250mL filtered water
- 25 pandan leaves (fresh or frozen), washed and cut into 2 cm
Preheat oven to 160OC fan forced.
In a bowl, combine flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, bi carb soda and a ½ serving of caster sugar then set aside.
In a high speed blender, blend water and pandan leaves for few minutes and strain through a fine sieve – you will need 250mL liquid.
Using a hand-held mixer, blend egg yolk, olive oil, vanilla and pandan juice then combine with the flour blend.
In a clean bowl, whisk egg whites, half of the sugar and cornflour and leave for 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and whisk until stiff peaks form. Fold 1/3 of it into the cake mixture at a time. Pour the batter into an ungreased angel cake pan, then tap the pan a few times to even out the batter. Bake for approximately 55 minutes - do not open the oven door, otherwise the cake will sink.
Remove the cake out of the oven then immediately invert the cake onto a rack and allow to cool. Once cooled, run a knife or spatula around the tube. Dust with gluten free icing sugar, then serve.